Creating with Yamaha keyboard for MIDKAR acceptability

Dave Nuttall

I've been creating backing tracks and sequences of hymns and southern/country gospel using Yamaha keyboards.  Nearly everything that I've done might be of interest to the MIDKAR community but I have resisted posting because I know that a large number of contemporary Yamaha voices do not sound good with ToH, GM, etc.

In the Yamaha community, there are programs which will convert the voicing's to XG but the results don't sound very good when I listen.

Is there anyone in the group who also sequences with Yamaha but can "output" MIDIs that MIDKAR members will accept?   I have upwards of 200 sequences that I can/will make available.

FWIW, my older sequences were done on a PSR-S910 but the past 3 years have been on Genos.

Your public or private remarks/ideas will be welcomed.

TIA.

Dave

San Antonio, Texas

Geoffrey Carter

Hi Dave,

I also have a Yamaha PSR S910 sequencing keyboard, but nowadays, I sequence using Anvil Studio and the latest TOH which includes XG/GM/GS etc. I sequence the files on my PC with TOH and set the individual track note volumes to 70 and adjust individual track volumes depending on the instrument selected. If I set the individual track volumes to 100, the resulting MIDI file is too loud for the Yamaha Keyboard.

I have plenty of sequences made on Yamaha Sequencers or other programs. The latest TOH is compatible with XG. Sometimes I need to re-adjust track volumes of some Yamaha files so that they sound perfect.

By all means please post some files, we need some more sequencers to join the group.

Geoff

On Thursday, 26 May 2022, 03:37:15 GMT+7, Dave Nuttall <dnuttall@...> wrote:

[...]

Wayne (Reed) Knazek

Hey Dave, thanks for your generous offer!

If you would post a few "typical" midis, let the group try them out.
See how they work with TOH or what ever other options thry're using.
We can get a base line established.

It'd be GREAT if you'd post some of your work to the group!  We all
look for daily posted MIDIs. We haven't had hardly any Gospel or
inspirational MIDIs posted for a long time.  Two of our long time friends
and members have passed.

Also, once we know if, or what we need to do the the MIIs to work
for most of the members, I'll get them up on the site asap. You can
zip them up (if you can) and get them to me.

Please be sure your info is in the files. At least your name.

Wayne

Blues, Latin Rock, 60's R&B, Rock-a-Billy, SURF, Good ol' Rock-n-Roll! Midi/Sequencers and Performers Group: https://groups.io/g/IGotDaBlues
14,000 Midi Files! Backing Trax and Timbres Of Heaven soundfonts! https://groups.io/g/MIDKAR
Learn to play guitar, blues harp or ANY instrument at amazing speed!  "I Just Wanna Play The Darned Thing!"
and "Learn To Shred" Text & audio newsletter! (Training & learning tips) Plus midi & MP3 jam tracks!

On Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 07:29:48 PM EDT, Geoffrey Carter via groups.io <geoffcarter2004@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Geoff.

Migrating sequences from contemporary Yamaha keyboards is somewhat intimidating, although the fact that the latest ToH includes XG/GM/GS, etc is very helpful.

So I examine a Yamaha style that is from the XG era and test it against the latest ToH.

It sounds "pretty good" except for one note in what Yamaha calls "BrushKit-Legacy" drum voice.

The note that is out-of-range in that drum voice (Pgm Change 40, LSB: 0 , MSB: 127) is Eb(0) (#27).

It sounds something like a "muted gun shot" with no reverb!

The remainder of the kit sounds like what you'd expect drums to sound like.

If I can change that one note in the style, I think that would allow me to generate numerous MIDIs that would be OK with ToH.

Ideas on what to change are very welcome!

TIA.

Dave

Geoffrey Carter

Hi Dave,

Anvil Studio allows you to change the drum kit instruments available for each note by holding the mouse on the note which tells you what part of the kit is selected and then it allows you to change the sound of the note to any other instrument in the kit.

Geoff

On Monday, 30 May 2022, 19:39:53 GMT+7, Dave Nuttall <dnuttall@...> wrote:

Thanks Geoff.

Migrating sequences from contemporary Yamaha keyboards is somewhat intimidating, although the fact that the latest ToH includes XG/GM/GS, etc is very helpful.

So I examine a Yamaha style that is from the XG era and test it against the latest ToH.

It sounds "pretty good" except for one note in what Yamaha calls "BrushKit-Legacy" drum voice.

The note that is out-of-range in that drum voice (Pgm Change 40, LSB: 0 , MSB: 127) is Eb(0) (#27).

It sounds something like a "muted gun shot" with no reverb!

The remainder of the kit sounds like what you'd expect drums to sound like.

If I can change that one note in the style, I think that would allow me to generate numerous MIDIs that would be OK with ToH.

Ideas on what to change are very welcome!

TIA.

Dave

Julie Hill

Hi Dave and all

I’d be happy to help to “output” the midi’s for everyone if it’s not too difficult as I’m more than happy to learn if someone wants to tell me what to do.

I do have time on my hands as long as the brain can cope.

Thanks all you do a tremendous job.

Kind regards

Julie

Sent from Mail for Windows